Skip to main content

Situational leadership or a turncoat

I must say that this mail has quite a bit of emotion in it.

It was earlier in the week that I was awestruck with two bits of media information that I was exposed to.

1. Some person of reasonable responsibility in US administration mentioned (as reported in media) that for issuing pink slips, corporates must first target "foreigners".

2. In a hard hitting 1-on-1 interview, an experienced journo asked a very senior business magnate as to why his company is shrinking manpower in "West" and increasing in "East" or Chindia. Answers that business is shrinking in "West" and growing in "East" were completely brushed aside.

At the same time is it not "immoral" (my interpretation from the interview) for the company to float subsidiaries in tax havens and, therefore, avoid paying tax to a "Western" country when the country needs all the money.

Above two examples are from the countries that have been propagating the spirit of "free enterprise" for decades if not centuries. At the same time most tax havens were created to save tax "from developing or undeveloped countries" for the benefit of the corporates of "developed world".

I find it rather amusing as to how changed scenario makes perspectives so different........

Should I laugh or cry?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unsaid speaks louder than words

The message was clear. US is facing a financial crisis. Americans need to contribute to get out of "conveniences". But the statements like "it will get worse before it gets better" without a timeline and references to a time of slavery etc are not comforting. American era may be ending faster than anticipated. Obama's inaugration speech was truly indicative of a man under pressure from the start. As any sportsman will confirm, it's all in the mind and followers just follow the leader and Obama has not set the bar high at all. My view is that it is heading south fast...... Contrast this with the situation in India. All that leaders are talking about is security and resolve to protect Indian at ANY COST. Economic issues are tackled with a view, yes it is a slowdown but we will still beONE OF THE BEST IN THE WORLD. No talk of worsening things, less spending by government. News headlines are all talking about shrinking bottomlines for profit and NOT LOSS issues....

New addiction

The Golden Quadrilateral and more roads

Over the last couple of weeks I had a chance to travel by road in five north Indian states. What a pleasure? The road network is becoming really fantastic. I started on National Highway 8 and then on to NH 1, 21, 22, 70,72 and 88 apart from many state highways. It is not the roads only that impressed me but also the new flourishing enterprises it has generated alongwith is the key to the trip. Many a voillages and towns that were cut off from nearby larger places are now well connected. Movement of people and goods is leading to a greater economic involvement and is helping in the inclusive growth mantra. I was also witness to an amazing incident - towns of Rahon and Samrala are barely tens of kilometers apart but could take upto 5 hours by road a few years ago and now less than half an hour. I could see a stretch limousine (a genuine one and on top of it a Lexus) in a small village wedding in the prosperous "Doaba" region of Punjab. On being generously invited (despite being...