Skip to main content

Should professional duty or personal preference prevail? Moral dilemma!

I had a very fruitful meeting for a possible new client. The project was interesting and there was keen interest by the potential client to use the services on offer.

Sounds good, said my colleague. We should send a proposal for the engagement.

I wasn't so sure. Project is interesting, fee may be decent as well but do I feel comfortable working with the client? A categorical NO emerged from within me.

The interaction with client was emotionally challenging. I would have had to deal with am emotional conflict on the assignment with the client. I found it difficult to accept his style of operation. This was not a knee jerk reaction but thought through analysis.

Professionally, it is the task that I commit to and should do the same. Personally I do not want to work with the individual.

What do I do? I have declined the assignment but the question still remains. Is it fair? Is it just?

Would a doctor take a decision to cure a patient based on liking? Should an advocate decide a client based on preference?

I have taken a decision but thinking is it right?

Any thoughts! 

Comments

  1. Heart says don't whereas mind says do. This is a constant battle. My experience is to choose the option that leaves me with positive feeling over time. Regardless of the choice one makes, it is better to be aware of this battle, know what is driving the decision and acknowledge the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Kiran. EOD its all about personal satisfaction

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unsaid speaks louder than words

The message was clear. US is facing a financial crisis. Americans need to contribute to get out of "conveniences". But the statements like "it will get worse before it gets better" without a timeline and references to a time of slavery etc are not comforting. American era may be ending faster than anticipated. Obama's inaugration speech was truly indicative of a man under pressure from the start. As any sportsman will confirm, it's all in the mind and followers just follow the leader and Obama has not set the bar high at all. My view is that it is heading south fast...... Contrast this with the situation in India. All that leaders are talking about is security and resolve to protect Indian at ANY COST. Economic issues are tackled with a view, yes it is a slowdown but we will still beONE OF THE BEST IN THE WORLD. No talk of worsening things, less spending by government. News headlines are all talking about shrinking bottomlines for profit and NOT LOSS issues....

New addiction

The Golden Quadrilateral and more roads

Over the last couple of weeks I had a chance to travel by road in five north Indian states. What a pleasure? The road network is becoming really fantastic. I started on National Highway 8 and then on to NH 1, 21, 22, 70,72 and 88 apart from many state highways. It is not the roads only that impressed me but also the new flourishing enterprises it has generated alongwith is the key to the trip. Many a voillages and towns that were cut off from nearby larger places are now well connected. Movement of people and goods is leading to a greater economic involvement and is helping in the inclusive growth mantra. I was also witness to an amazing incident - towns of Rahon and Samrala are barely tens of kilometers apart but could take upto 5 hours by road a few years ago and now less than half an hour. I could see a stretch limousine (a genuine one and on top of it a Lexus) in a small village wedding in the prosperous "Doaba" region of Punjab. On being generously invited (despite being...